Ochanostachys amentacea (Family: Olacaceae)
Medium Hardwood. This genus has only one species, viz. O. amentacea. Also known as Amin, Ampalang, Empilung, Lembasung, Petaling, Petikal, Pilung, Satan bagiuk, Tilokot and Tumbung asu (Indonesia).
- Density: 800-1,105 kg/m3
- Heartwood: red-brown to purple red-brown, darkening on exposure.
- Sapwood: dark yellow-brown or light red-brown
- moderately durable under exposed conditions
- texture is fine and even with interlocked grain
- nailing property is rated as poor
The timber is suitable for piling, heavy and medium construction under cover, tool handles (impact), heavy duty furniture, railway sleepers, telegraphic and power transmission posts and cross arms, flooring, pallets, packing boxes and crates, columns (light duty), staircase (carriage, newel, riser, sprandrel framing, stringer, tread, bullnose, round end and winder), joinery and cabinet making.