Anisoptera spp. (Family: Dipterocarpaceae)
A light hardwood. The trees can grow to a very large size. The timber is commonly used for plywood manufacture in Malaysia. Colour of the wood is very even and rather featureless on the surface.
- Density: 515-735 kg/m3
- Heartwood: yellow-brown, often with a rose tinge, ageing to straw-brown
- Sapwood: not distinct
- vertical canals mostly diffuse, occasionally in tangential series
- vessel medium to moderately large and exclusively solitary
- white vessel deposits common
- tyloses present
- rays of two distinct sizes
- parenchyma in short tangential lines from ray to ray
The timber is extremely popular as a veneer and plywood species. Other uses include light construction, furniture manufacture, pallets, boxes and crates.