Heritiera spp. (Family: Sterculiaceae)
A medium hardwood. The trees are medium to large sized and found widely scattered in the country. The colour, texture and grain resemble some Dark Red Meranti timbers.
- Density: 625 - 895 kg/m3
- Heartwood: pink-brown, red-brown or dark brown
- Sapwood: lighter in colour and not always sharply defined from the heartwood
- vessel large and few in number
- some of the large vessels with tail-like appendages of smaller vessels aligned radially
- parenchyma mainly as short, narrow tangential between rays
- rays of two distinct sizes
- characteristic speckle on tangential surface suggestive of mosquito netting
- coarse texture
The timber is suitable for plywood manufacture, flooring, interior finishing, furniture, panelling, general planking and glue-laminated components.