Keranji is the product of several species of Dialium the more common of which are D.havilandii, D.laurinum, D.maingayi, D.procerum, D.patens, D.platysepalum, D.indum and D.wallichi.
- Density: 755-1,250 kg/m3
- Heartwood: gold-brown or red brown weathering to dark-brown.
- Sapwood: well defined by colour
- No serious defects occur except for a very occasional layer of included phloem.
- The grain is deeply interlocked
- sometimes wavy giving rise to attractive stripe figure
- texture is fine to moderately coarse and even
The timber is suitable for heavy construction, gymnasium equipment, railway sleepers, tool handles (impact), vehicle bodies (framework and floor boards), mallets, poles, telegraphic and power transmission posts and cross arms, bridges, pallets (permanent and heavy duty type), laboratory benches, heavy duty furniture, flooring (heavy traffic), piling, door and window frames and sills, posts, beams, joists, rafters, fender supports, columns (heavy duty), staircase (balustrade, carriage, newel, riser, stringer, tread, bullnose, round end and winder), interior finishing, panelling, mouldings, joinery and cabinet making.