Artocarpus soo. (Family: Moraceae)
A medium hardwood, The trees are usually medium in size and distributed widely throughout the country but not abundant anywhere.
- Density: 500 - 945 kg/m3
- Heartwood: yellow to dark brown or orange-brown, weathering to gold-brown to walnut-brown and orange tinge on surface
- Sapwood: light yellow to light brown with orangy tinge
- vessels medium to moderately large in size and surrounded by orange-coloured parenchyma tissue
- parenchyma mostly aliform
- tyloses present
- orange-coloured rays
- chalk-white vessel deposits common
The timber is highly prized as a high-class coffin timber for the Chinese in Malaysia and much of the supply is diverted to this use. The timber is also suitable for flooring, parquet flooring, medium construction, furniture and panelling.