Syzygium and Eugenia spp. (over 200 species in Malaysia)
A medium hardwood. The trees range from dwarfed and shrubby tree-lets to medium or large and are found in various types of vegetation.
- Density: 495 - 1.010 kg/m3
- Heartwood: grey-brown, deep brown or red-brown, lusterless
- Sapwood: not sharply differentiated
- parenchyma arranged in indistinct wings to the vessels or fairly distinct aliform, usually slanting
- vessels medium sized, moderately few, mostly in radial groups
- rays barely visible to the naked eye
The timber is strong enough to be used for structural purposes like posts, beams, joists, and rafters. If properly treated, may be suitable for tramways, railways sleepers for secondary lines, bridges , wharves and agricultural implements.