Dryobalanops spp.(Family: Dipterocarpaceae)
A medium hardwood. The trees are generally tall and cylindrical. Mainly found in the East Coast states of Peninsular Malaysia.
- Density: 580 - 820 kg/m3
- Heartwood: rose-red to deep red or reddish-brown
- Sapwood: distinct, greyish or pale yellow
- vertical canals in long tangential series mostly free of resin
- vessels exclusively solitary, occasionally blocked by tyloses
- sometimes with distinct ripple marks
- camphor - like odour when fresh
- pin holes caused by ambrosia beetles are common
The timber is suitable for medium construction, posts, beams, joists, rafters, flooring, plywood manufacture, laboratory benches and railway sleepers (treated).