Dark Red Meranti
Shorea spp. (Family:Dipterocarpaceae)
A light hardwood. One of the most common timber trees in the dipterocarp forest. Matured trees are medium to large sized and with straight boles. The timber is easily one of the most traded timbers in Malaysia.
- Density: 415-885 kg/m3
- Heartwood: red-brown ageing to dark red
- Sapwood: pink with a grey tinge and not clearly defined from the heartwood
- vessels medium to large
- tyloses occasionally present
- vertical canals in long tangential series
- horizontal canals confined to the species Shorea ovata
- parenchyma in irregularly spaced bands containing resin canals
- surface lustrous
- distinguished from Meranti Bakau by being darker in colour and Light Red Meranti by its higher density.
- stripe figure on radial surface due to interlocked grain
The timber is extremely popular as a general utility timber, being suitable for furniture manufacture, high class interior finishing, flooring, panelling and partitioning , mouldings and skirtings, fancy doors, sliced and rotary cut veneers.